Friday, October 8, 2010

Man arrested carrying a machete on Melbourne train

This afternoon turned into a hectic hour after a man about 70 years old was arrested on my train after he was caught with a machete in his possession.


I first noticed the man when I arrived at Auburn train station. My friend told me that there was an old man at the end of the platform with a machete.


 I didn't know what to think at that stage, I had seen people do silly things on platforms but I had never seen someone with a weapon.


The man was old and wearing a bucket hat, a blue shirt and brown pants. I then told my sister and her friends about the man and they started to get a bit worried.


The man was walking up and down the platform very slowly holding what clearly was a machete. I was standing on the platform when he walked right next to me, he then stopped and looked down the tracks as if something was worrying him. At this sight I decided to walk away without being too obvious.


As our train pulled up me my sister and her friends all walked away from where the man was getting on, we got on one of the last carriages.


During the trip my sisters friend decided to call the police. She gave them a great description of the man and where we were and then hung up. As we arrived at our first stop we looked to see if the man had got off, however he stayed on. Apparently there were police that just didn't make it to the train station on time to catch the man.


We reached the next station and the train stopped as per usual and we again looked to see if the man had got off, he hadn't. It had seemed like we had been stopped at the station for a bit longer than usual, I was starting to get worried that something had happened involving the man with the knife.


It wasn't until I saw about four police cars show up at the station that I realised what was going on. The call had been responded to and the police were looking for the man. We were worried at this point in time because we didn't know where the man was or if he had done something bad.


A man and a woman from Victoria Police game running through our carriage armed with pepper spray and wearing bullet proof vests looking for then man. We told the police officers that he was in either the second or the third carriage.


After about 10 minutes of chaos and uncertainty the man was taken out of the train surrounded by police. It was an amazing 10 minutes or so, people were crying, others were just completely confused by all the police.


Unfortunately I can't confirm no one was injured on the train, however the Ambulance did not come so it seems to me that no one was harmed.


I have tried to show you some of the chaotic moment on my phone, i hope the quality isn't too bad for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment