Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Draw Something, bringing out the artistic side in all of us


Recently I have been seeing people everywhere, glued to their smartphones. I was so intrigued by this discovery that I went over and spoke to someone who seemed very engaged in their phone. I decided to ask them what they were doing on their smartphone that took so much attention, hoping that they were not doing something private, like checking their emails. 

The person greeted me kindly and said, "I'm playing Draw Something". I thought the person had told me to draw something, so i asked again politely. The person playing turned their screen toward me and there it was, something that I would be seeing multiple times in the future, a strange drawing in the middle of the screen, with blue keys underneath.

The kind person explained to me how the game was played and how it is so much fun to be able to connect with friends, whilst improving one's artistic skills.

Since that day, I have become enthralled in watching friends play it on their smartphones. Everywhere I go I see people drawing pictures for friends that are not even in the same room. The game is basically a technological version of pictionary. 

One must select one of three things to draw for a friend and if the friend guesses what the drawing is, the artist and guesser receive a certain number of "coins" and can level up. 

It is really interesting to see people indulging in their artistic side, anywhere and at anytime. I am not sure if this game has been a huge success in other parts of the world, but in Australia it seems to be getting a lot of attention. 

The questions that need to be asked are: will this game/app be like Angry Birds? Will it be a huge craze for a few months and then disappear from conversations and eventually be an old, forgotten game, just like Angry Birds appears to be?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Natters,
    My name is Charles Forman. I'm the CEO of OMGPOP the company that invented the highly popular Draw Something. I was searching blogspot to find out what people were saying about my game and i was surprised at your article. I was looking at the sales from before and after your post and i see a considerable downfall. I have asked my lawyers to speak to you personally about this issue. I would like you to reply to this comment stating your address and phone number so that we can contact you. I would ask you to take your site down but I know you are not going to do it. Please reply in the next 24 hours otherwise you will be prosecuted further.

    Regards
    Charles Forman
    CEO & Co-Founder of OMGPOP
    SoHo, New York City,USA

    ReplyDelete